- This event has passed.
Know Your Rights: Real-World examples of licensing, copyrighting and contract negotiation with M. Scott Brauer
3 April 2018 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm$10
BPPA Secretary M. Scott Brauer will be speaking about business practices for freelance photographers at an ASMP event. BPPA members (and members of other partner organizations including AIGA, ASPP, Griffin, NPPA, PPA, and PRC), get discounted admission: $10 in in advance – $20 at the door.
Social Hour: 6:00-7:00 PM
Program: 7:00-9:00 PM
Here’s the ASMP blurb:
Come join us for an informative evening with M. Scott Brauer who has been a freelance photographer for the last 12 years. Within his career Brauer has taken approximately 700,000 pictures (including all assignments and commissions in that time). He owns and has registered the copyright for all of those images but 1, and that one buyout was a pretty good deal. Brauer will take you through his career as a successful photographer while giving you real-world examples of the often daunting process of licensing and copyrighting your pictures as well negotiating contracts with clients while highlighting these major points:
- The importance of diversifying clients and types of work
- Building and maintaining relationships with people that can license your work
- Cash flow in a photo business
- Negotiating contracts in your favor (with real-world examples)
- The value of “No”
- The importance of rights managed licensing
- Pricing your work for licensing (with real-world examples)
- The importance of copyright
- Registering copyright
- Chasing down infringements (with real-world examples)
We will silent auction a Workbook Online Portfolio ($2000 value) and a Streetwalker Harddrive V2 bag ($230 value). And, we will raffle off a Bob Korn 20×30 image on 24×34 paper ($130 value) One $150 gift certificate from Maryelle Artistry on a full 8 hour day which is normally $800.